Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Hunt For Red October | The Abyss

Dear Moviemainers.    I have submarines on my mind; now I have never been on one but I am still young (at least in my mind).   Here are some facts you might not know.   How long can a sub stay underwater?  90 days.  What is the size of an average sub?  362 feet long and 33 feet in width.  What is the average crew size?  Typical crew size is 140.  One fact not thought of is there are usually no women on subs as the living conditions are not suited for it.   Some subs because of size of warm beds meaning that when you are on duty someone else is sleeping in your bed.  I am thinking I would not like that!

First up is the film The Hunt For Red October 1990.  This is from a Tom Clancy novel.  A Soviet Sub captain wants to defect to the United States while a CIA agent tracks him.  Starring Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin.  Now where does this sub end up?  Love the end, a skillful thrilling movie.

Next up is The Abyss 1989 Science Fiction film starring Ed Harris.  An American submarine sinks in the Caribbean and U.S. sends a recovery team to the ship to find out what happened.   Hang on to your seat.

Larry, did you say you would host this time?  Let me know.   

I hope you enjoy the films.   

Your Movie Diva,
Movielynne


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have not heard from anyone about the movies for the month of September. Even though Sean Connery is aging he is still handsome and totally believable as a Russian sub captain. Movielynne

Leslie and Jim said...

Hi Everyone

Better late than never! We (Carl, Tom, Ron, Jim and I) had a wonderful time watching The Hunt for Red October. I can remember seeing this film years ago and felt that it was still contemporary. Jim said that a few of the technical things about the sub were outdated but then of course, I don't know too much about submarines. Sean Connery is always a good choice and I understood it better the second time around...we had a wonderful evening up tah camp. Hope everyone else enjoyed it also.